[Live-devel] problems with VPN

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Oct 29 22:28:28 PDT 2004

>On one of my local computers, the 'test machine', I run
>testMPEG4VideoStreamer.exe and
>stream a file. On another computer, the 'main machine',
>I receive the stream using VLC. If I sign in to my company's VPN (from
>the main machine) and then run VLC (provided that
>testMPEG4VideoStreamer.exe was
>started a while ago and streaming a video file), either the VLC or the VPN
>will crash.
>If I start the VLC before starting the VPN,
>nothing bad happens. I had tried using QuickTime as a receiver in this
>set-up, it works fine.

That's odd...

I wonder if perhaps the problem might be multicast-related.  Have you also
tried running the unicast version of the streaming server - i.e.,
"testOnDemandRTSPServer"?

>I have Windows XP on both machines, they are connected to Linksys router
>by cables
>(no WiFi involved), the VPN is Windows-built-in one.

This sounds to me like a bug somewhere in Windows.  (Although, if VLC
itself is crashing, then the VLC authors might be interested in trying to
reproduce the bug, if possible.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>