[Live-devel] obtaining the current npt value from a RTSP stream

Hussain conundrums at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 02:10:59 PDT 2004

> > Is it possible to get the current value for the npt (normal play time)
> >  from a RTSP stream? If not,  could you suggest how this could be
> > implemented.
>

> I don't know whether the LIVE.COM streaming media libraries, or
> vlc/mplayer, is the right place to find this piece of information.
>
> Dermot.

Can you please elaborate a bit further on this.

You see, I am trying to use VLC (as a client) in a setup to
demonstrate VoD capabilities. One of the developers did add the
ability to pause the stream in VLC. However due to the inability to
get the npt, this feature does not work properly. Since it uses
LIVE.COM streaming media libraries, I assumed that the best place to
get/compute the npt information, would be using the LIVE.COM streaming
media Libraries.

It seems that it is not possible to get the current npt value from the
middle of a stream. I am just trying to understand why? Was it because
the developers thought this unnecessary, or  due to some
implementation issues?

Thanks.

Hussain