[Live-devel] Problem handling multiple MPEG streams.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Aug 11 02:21:12 PDT 2005

>I am having segment fault problems when trying to use the live
>library to decode frames coming from multiple RTP streams.  I am
>setting up a seperate UsageEnvironment, TaskScheduler,
>MPEG1or2VideoRTPSource and RTCPInstance for each RTP source.   Each
>doEventLoop is on its own thread (using clone under linux to create thread).

I suggest first receiving/processing just one RTP stream (in a single
thread), and see if your problem occurs in that case.

>   Eventually one of the threads triggers a SIGSEGV signal. I notice
> that the documentation does not talk about thread safety.

Yes it does - see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#threads>

Everyone, *please* read the FAQ!!

>  Is there a way to handle multiple RTP streams safely?

Note that you *don't* need to use multiple threads to receive
multiple RTP streams.  Instead, you can just use a single thread (and
UsageEnvironment and TaskScheduler and event loop).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>