[Live-devel] Sending BYE in RTCPInstance destructor

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jan 10 10:28:16 PST 2005

>Every time RTCPIntance destructor is called, a BYE message is sent; so
>if another RTP client is connected to the same hub or switch of the
>machine where that BYE is sent from, it receives it and terminates
>connection to the server. I think this should not happen; Is it
>necessary for the client to send a BYE in RTCPIntance destructor?

This is certainly appropriate - see, for example, RFC3550, section 6.3.7.

However, clients that receive a RTCP "BYE" from another *client* should not
terminate.  (They should perhaps terminate if they receive a RTCP "BYE"
from the *server*.)  Unfortunately, our "RTCPInstance::setByeHandler()"
function doesn't yet allow the programmer to specify that only BYEs from
the *server* should be handled.  I will try to fix this in the next release
of the software.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>