[Live-devel] RTSP Seek problems

Philippe Bridant philippe.bridant at smartjog.com
Mon Jan 24 11:13:08 PST 2005

>>/When seeking, (so after a PLAY command), it seems that the RTSPClient class
/>>/continues to provide the rest of the "deprecated" buffers it had
/>>/collected before
/>>/the (seek) PLAY command to the livedotcom plugin demuxer.
/>
>Yes, this is possible (depending on whether any incoming packets are
>buffered in the OS kernel's internal buffers), although there shouldn't be
>many such packets.

In fact, after some tests, I think I identified the problem wich comes from the VLC
implementation of course. The Presentation Time Stamp (passed to the afterGettingFunc)
seems to be the "server side time + the stream PTS". The implementation of the live
lib in VLC has a bad behaviour with thoose time stamps. It resets the PCR
of VLC for each packet and is absolutly not designed to support seek.

The resulting problem is that the internal buffers (about 1 seconds)
are marked with the same time stamps that the second following the seek.
So VLC plays internal buffers and then then the new buffers that are (for VLC,
and because of the PTS) late.

This result of packet dropping and audio/video synchro problems.

I'd like to do the simpliest as possible implementation of the live lib. For that
I will need to know the original stream PTS and not a calculated one (by DSS ? by live ?).

Is there a way to configure the live lib to have the original stream PTS so I will
(i hope) be able to implement a generic solution allowing seek and missing chunks) ?

> [...]
>
>>/- Is there any implementation of LIVE.COM wich supports seek feature
/>>/over RTSP/RTP streaming ?
/>
>I don't understand your question.  The current LIVE.COM library supports
>seeking (for RTSP clients, and (for some media types) RTSP servers).  You
>used this.

My question was:

Is there an open-source player using the live lib and having a """perfect""" seek support for RTP/RTSP streams.

Many thanks for your support

--
Philippe BRIDANT
IT Engineer