[Live-devel] Efficiency of RTSP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jun 13 06:57:24 PDT 2005

>I'm vectoring the onDemandRTSP sample program.

I don't understand what that means.

>My source is a camera
>that delivers frames 30 FPS. 720x480. (DV)
>
>However, streaming only needs to be 15fps or even slower at 320x240
>or CIF or whatever depending on bandwidth.
>
>When I deliver frames to the framed source far in excess of
>requirements, is there anything I need to do to ensure I'm cool? All
>my testing so far has been over a LAN, so no problem, but it doesn't
>seem 100% straightforward with reduced bandwidth.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but if you have an input source
that delivers 30 fps, but you want, instead to deliver 15 fps, then just
modify your input source's "doGetNextFrame()" function so that it discards
every second frame.

This assumes, of course, that your input source is not encoded in a format
(such as MPEG-1, 2 or 4) that uses P (or B) frames.  But you didn't say
what input format you are using....

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>