[Live-devel] WMP 9 and realplayer 10?

Luca Abeni lucabe72 at email.it
Thu Mar 3 14:15:57 PST 2005

Hi all,

sorry for the stupid questions, but...
Are windows media player 9 and realplayer 10 (base version) supposed to
be able to connect to an rtsp server implemented with the live.com
libraries?

I have been recently told that WMP9 supports rtsp, so I tried to use it
to connect to testOnDemandRTSPServer (I tried the MPEG1 ES stream). (VLC
is able to connect to it and play the video, so I assume that
testOnDemandRTSPServer is correctly working).
WMP 9 accepts the "rtsp://.../mpeg1or2ESVideoTest URL, and even tries to
connect, but it immediately complains about "unsupported protocol".
I tried to have a quick look at the network traffic, and it seems that
WMP9 sends a "DESCRIBE" request, and disconnects as soon as it receives
the response (containing the SDP description of the stream)... Any
ideas? Is it possible that WMP9 sends an RTSP request but expect to
receive the stream in something different from RTP?

After that, I tried realplayer 10 (again, I tried
"rtsp://<ipaddr>/mpeg1or2ESVideoTest"). realplayer does not complain,
and begins to play the stream (it is an MPEG1 ES), but there are a lot
of artefacts in the reproduced video (again, the video plays fine with
VLC). Does anyone know if realplayer wants something non standard?

			Thanks,
				Luca