[Live-devel] RAW_UDP format

Robert Clarkson robert.clarkson at broadmediatechnology.com
Fri May 20 15:44:43 PDT 2005

Thanks for your reply Derk,
Unfortunately it does not answer entirely what I was asking, so I shall
rephrase...

> As far as I understand the amino box simply sets up a mpeg2-ts framed
> UDP stream. So it's not RTP framed.

When the amino box sends the RTSP request to the Live RTSP server, with the
request transport set as "MP2T/H2221/UDP", the Live RTSP server sets its
"streamingMode" variable to "RAW_UDP". My question is: what exactly is the
packet format? Is it like this:

|                    -UDP PACKET-                     |
||-MPEG2TRANSPORT PACKET-||-MPEG2TRANSPORT PACKET-|...|

That is, 'x' amount of transport stream packets inside a UDP packet,
Or, is there some more 'packetisation' that goes on?

> These streams do not fall in the RTSP specification. The RTSP framework
> is just used for the session setup and session control. Instead of
> creating AVP/RTP streams for each track like in normal RTSP, it creates
> a single UDP stream with MPEG2-TS framing.

You are right, this stream format does not fall into the RTSP specification,
it was specified in an RFC by nCube in collaboration with Oracle, and the
Live RTSP server appears to support it, as I have found by looking in the
source. But they do not specify how the packets should actually be formatted
in the RFC, which is why I ask the Live mailing list

> It is the same type of stream as VideoLAN multicast and normal STB
> MPEG2-TS traffic etc. support. it just has additional RTSP control
> around it.

Unfortunately I am not sure how VLC formats the stream for this particular
transport type.

Thanks

Robert Clarkson