[Live-devel] Python binding to Live (to support MRCP)

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra rodsenra at gpr.com.br
Thu Nov 10 17:55:11 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:24:05 -0800
Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
> FYI, the way I would integrate the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code
> with a scripting language would be to write (in C/C++) a new subclass
> of "TaskScheduler" (and perhaps "UsageEnvironment") that interacted
> with the scripting language's own event mechanism, so that scripting
> language events could, if necessary, be handled by LIVE555 code - and
> vice versa.

Thank you for your prompt answer.

> I'm not sure if that is your first or second approach :-)  (I don't
> know anything about how Python deals with events.)

Well, Python is very friendly in that matter. We can either wrap-up
libraries written in C/C++ creating a thin wrapper in C that maps
functions and objects from C/C++ space into Python space,  or
we can embed the Python Interpreter in a framework creating an
instance of the Python interpreter and passing scripts to be run
by it.

I believe both approaches are theoretically possible, I just have to study
a bit of Live code to figure out the shortest sweat-free path.

This sort of cross-over between Live and other environment was attempted
before with some other technology like Tcl, Java, Ruby, etc ?

I have dived into the list archives but failed to find a concrete
effort, except for Leon Schmets who might pronounce something about
it later in the game.

And how about MRCP, nobody have ever showed any interest in that around here ?
Just curious.

So, thanks for the help so far.
I'll proceed  and report my progress here.

best regards,
Senra