[Live-devel] live audio source

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 14 10:31:40 PST 2006

>I build the sample that sends uncompressed voice (8kHz, 1 chan, 16bits)
>over RTP (no RTCP and no RTSP). The sample runs on the local network.
>The problem is the voice delay is rather big 70 - 100 msec.

[...]

>I'd like to reduce voice delay down to 30-50msec range. What can be done
>?

It's hard to say, because you can't do a good job of reducing delay
until you know exactly where it's occurring.  There are many
different potential sources of delay in a network-based application:
capture, transmission, propogation delay, reception,
rendering.  I.e., delay can occur at both ends, and in many
places.  The "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code - even if it's used at
both the sending and receiving ends - is only a small part of the
overall system.

Before you can figure out how to reduce delay, you're going to have
to figure out exactly where it is occurring.  I.e., you're going to
have to dive in and instrument all parts of your system to figure this out.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>