[Live-devel] streaming 'redirection'

Diego Susa dsusa at cestel.es
Mon Sep 25 07:04:01 PDT 2006

Hello,
& congrats for such a good library !

I'm evaluating liveMedia library in order to use it in the followig
situation:
I need to control a media-server from my application, and putting an
RTSP client inside it, looks like a good, standard and easy choice (the
"easy" part thanks to your RTSPClient class).
But my app is "3rd party call control" one, so I need kind a "third
party media control"; i.e. what I need is the media server to deliver
audio/video streams to a DIFERENT host than the one which is asking
those streams as an RTSP client.

I've browsed liveMedia sources and found the following symbol:

RTSP_ALLOW_CLIENT_DESTINATION_SETTING

with this clear explanation from Ross
http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2004-February/000324.html

This makes pretty clear I have to recompile "libliveMedia.lib" with this
flag enabled, in order to achieve my goal. Obviously, I also have to
re-link it in videoLAN (this is the Media Server I'm using).

Here's where the question comes in: do I have to change RTSPClient's
class behavior too ?
I mean: do I have to change it to include the "destination" parameter
into the "Transport:" line ? ... maybe I could introduce the destination
IP in the subsession object, and add it as "destination" with
subsession.connectionEndpointAddress(), somewhere inside the block
commented "normal RTP streaming" (this happens to be RTSPClient/line=806
in my copy of your sources)

NOTICE: I should clarify I don't mind the potential D-O-S attacks,
they're are not an issue for me at this stage :-)

Thanks in advance for any help, tip, or hint whatsoever... !
Diego