[Live-devel] Benchmarking

Vlad Seryakov vlad at crystalballinc.com
Mon Apr 9 11:42:03 PDT 2007

Have anyone done any benchmarks of live streaming?

I just did it today on my Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz Linux
box, both CPUs enabled with 2Gb of memory.

I streamed 100 clients with openRTSP from another similar computer over
1 Gbit network.

With one process for 100 clients, when i fired vlc i could not watch the
clip, lots of lost frames. With 50 clients in one process vlc played
well. So i used 2 processes with 50 streams each, and it worked pretty
well, linux was not busy. I streamed same file, so disk activity was not
a problem, i assume it will in case of 100 different files.

Even with completely cached file, it seems to me that delay while
scanning all sockets gets pretty significant with large number of
clients, so spawning several threads on different ports could be the
only choice to support many streams.