[Live-devel] Benchmarking

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Apr 9 15:53:15 PDT 2007

>Even with completely cached file, it seems to me that delay while
>scanning all sockets

Sets of sockets aren't 'scanned' anywhere in the code.  Instead, the
event loop is implemented (by default, with the "BasicTaskScheduler"
class) using "select()", which should be efficient even with large
numbers of readable sockets.

It's possible, however, that with large numbers of open sockets, you
might be running into some OS-imposed limit that could be hurting
performance.  I think Linux has ways of configuring the OS to support
more open sockets, so that's something that you might want to look
into.

(Also, re. 'benchmarking' in general: Remember, You Have Complete Source Code.)