[Live-devel] Live555 MPEG2 Transport Stream packet loss

ilya77 at gmail.com ilya77 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 09:09:33 PDT 2007

Hi All,

We've tried to use Live555 media server (win32) with various max packet size
configurations (we've compiled the server with each change) with an MPEG2
transport stream we've received from a customer over a WAN, and while the
same configurations worked flawlessly in a LAN environment, sniffing the RTP
stream delivered over a WAN (over ATM + NAT router) with ethereal discovered
a lot of lost packets (and as a result - degradation in picture quality,
artefacts and smearing where motion occurred).
We've tried different files with various bitrates, so I am pretty much sure
bandwidth is not the issue.
The RTP transport was delivered over TCP, and we've used VLC as the client
application.
We've tried the default max packet size, and the following: 1400, 1300,
1350, 1340, 1330 bytes per packet (not including overhead). Interesting is
that the stream would not play when max packet size was set below 1330.

Could anyone refer me to any resource which would help me to solve the
problem? Searching google didn't produce any helpful results, and since we
are not experts on RTSP/RTP/MPEG2-TS, digging into the source code didn't
help much either...

Many thanks,
Ilya