[Live-devel] AAC streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Apr 27 01:48:04 PDT 2007

>I know that with Media Server I can stream out the AAC content but in
>the RTSP manner. Upon the request from client, the media (of type AAC)
>will be streamed out in the encapsulation of RTP/RTCP.  I would like to
>have something more simpler: the second action only. That is without any
>control level from RTSP

No, if you want to stream an AAC audio (ADTS format) file, then you
will need to use RTSP, because the stream will have some
(file-specific) parameters that can only be communicated in the SDP
description (which is delivered to the client using RTSP).

If you wish, you can write an application that streams via multicast
(rather than unicast), but you will still need to have a built-in
RTSP server, and have the clients play the stream using RTSP.

In either case, you will be able to play the stream using either VLC
or QuickTime Player - using a "rtsp://" URL.