[Live-devel] ReceivingInterfaceAddr

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Jan 30 11:18:09 PST 2007

Hi Ross!

I need my server and client to come up on eth1 instead of eth0.  So in
openRTSP I have the following lines at the beginning:

ReceivingInterfaceAddr = our_inet_addr("10.145.223.23");
SendingInterfaceAddr = our_inet_addr("10.145.223.23");  // i got this  from
an old mailing list entry, maybe linked from FAQ?

When I try to use openRTSP to record from an RTSP server on an external
device which is sending a multicast stream, it looks like everything goes
OK, but actually the file only gets created and does not get any data
written.  ("./openRTSP -V rtsp://10.145.120.27:554/presentation0") When I
remove the line about setting the ReceivingInterfaceAddr, openRTSP is able
to make a recording from the multicast.
Also, I tried running both a multicast (testMPEG2TransportStreamer) and
unicast (mediaServer) server on my local machine.  Both these servers have
Receiving- and SendingInterfaceAddr setup also.  I see no problem with
openRTSP recording from unicast when ReceivingInterfaceAddr is set. When I
run testMPEG2TransportStreamer as the server on the same machine, openRTSP
again cannot make a recording.  I use the same file for both servers on my
local machine.

I see the same thing with my own application which I have written based on
openRTSP (which is why I tried out openRTSP again also).  In my client
application, I get this error when using ddd if ReceivingInterfaceAddr is
set ->
"Groupsock(-1:224.0.1.2, 32775, 255): failed to join group:
setsockopt(IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP) error: Bad File Descriptor".
Not surprisingly, my application behaves the same as openRTSP with regard
to whether or not it is able to record from multicast or unicast.

So main question: what am I not understanding about Receiving- and
SendingInterfaceAddr?  Shouldn't it be OK to set the ReceivingInterfaceAddr
in openRTSP and still read from a multicast?  Do I need to change something
in ourSourceAddressForMulticast() function? I am running on Linux Fedora 5

Thanks!

Xochitl Smith
        GS Software Engineer; Computer-E

 (Embedded image moved to file:             ph: 319.263.0191
 pic28532.jpg)                              xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com