[Live-devel] MPEG2TransportStreamRTPSource and testMPEG2TSreceiver: not quite right...

Shishir Birmiwal shishir at birmiwal.net
Fri Jul 6 11:51:15 PDT 2007

Russell,

I get the following errors while playing the RTP stream via VLC...
> libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 0, expected 5)
> for PID 0
> libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 0, expected 5)
> for PID 66
>
> But I think this discontinuity occurs due to my video restarting at the
> beginning.  I get no errors or warnings other than those, either playing my
> file or playing the RTP stream.  While the video is frozen, I can see that
> RTP packets are being sent.  Whether it is the fault of VLC that the video
> is freezing or if the RTP packets are malformed is beyond me.  Is there a
> way that I can check the RTP packets to verify that their structure and
> header info is correct?  Thanks,

Were you able to play the TS file in VLC as "file input"? If the file played
correctly, then the problem is probably in the way they're streamed back
out. If the file doesn't play correctly, then the problem could be with the
way they're captured and written.

You can try capturing the RTP stream using Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) and
see if you can spot out any problems. Wireshark can help you analyze the RTP
stream for missing packets, incorrect timestamps and bit-rates. The bit-rate
analysis (Statistics->IO Graph) can help you identify any issues due to
excessive/bursty transmission. It may be worthwhile to run a similar test on
a working / non-working stream to identify any particular issues due to
streaming.

Cheers
Shishir

PS: Sometimes, you may have do a RightClick on a UDP packet and choose
DecodeAs->RTP  for it to identify packets as RTP.