[Live-devel] MPEG 2 TS streaming at pre encoded bit rate over LAN

devendra banker devendra.banker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 22:40:31 PDT 2007

Dear all,

Hope every one is doing gr888.....
I happen to face some problems and hope with the help of u guys would be
able to find it solved...

Say i have one MPEG 2 TS stream ( stream1.ts encoded at 5.00 Mbps) ..and now
i want to transmit it over lan at 5.00 Mbps.

problem 1  : how do i get to know the bit rate from given TS stream?
                 does it entirely depend on PCR distance..i.e for every .1
sec i would get PCR and after that i can find out how many
                packets  in 1 sec ..and this tells me bit rate???
                it this is the case then how does other formats like MPEG 4,
MP3 gets streamed..I am not sure abt PCRs for them..
                so sorry for that??
                 does this mean that if i have corrupted PCR..the streaming
would have problems?

problem 2 : how does a single program find out ..how many TS packets should
go in one set ..and the time between them..
                 using bit rate i can find out ..but why 7 packets in the
ethernet packet..is it because of frame size??

Problem 3 : Please suggest some tutorial which actually explains in depth of
streaming.i checked on web..but not able to get
                  hold of tutorial for MPEG 2 streaming.

Thank you very much....

Devendra.