[Live-devel] Live stream frequently getting stuck

Kartik Rao kartikraop at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:11:30 PDT 2007

Hi. I am attempting to perform MPEG4 live streaming (on Windows) using
live555 and DirectShow (SDK 9). I did the following:

1. Using DirectShow, I grab camera feed, encode it and dump the encoded data
into a named pipe.
2. I modified the testMPEG4VideoStreamer program, so that it can be spawned
as a seperate thread. Also, I created a "ByteStreamPipeSource" and
"FramedPipeSource" class - similar to ByteStreamFileSource and
FramedFileSource - which read the encoded data from a named pipe.

Using VLC as a client, I observed the following: Initially, streaming works
fine (although with a small delay). Then it got stuck and played no further.
I set the "rtsp-caching", disabled "drop late frames" and "skip frames"
parameters. Now when it gets stuck, it recovers a few seconds later, plays
for a few seconds before getting stuck again.

When I dump the encoded feed into a file and stream the file, at a later
point in time, it plays smoothly. Currently, I am not modifying the
presentation times. The difference between presentation times for successive
packets when streaming live feed and through video though are different.
Should I attempt to modify presentation time? Kindly advice on how I can
avoid the problem of the live stream frequently getting stuck.

Thanks,
Kartik