[Live-devel] Trick play on Amino 110

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 05:18:45 PST 2007

> I am able to stream an indexed transport stream with my amino box. but when
> I push ffwd or rewind, the image freezes. after pressing play again it
> becomes obvious that the video really forwarded (or rewinded) faster, the
> forwarding just wasn't visible.
>
> how comes that forwarding and rewinding aren't 'visible' to the user?
>

> I'm not sure.  The only thing I can suggest is that perhaps the higher bit
> rate of the 'trick play' streams (because, in such streams, each frame is an
> I-frame) is overwhelming your set-top box or (less likely) your network.

Quite possible. I cannot confirm this though, as I have not tested
your trick play yet. I do know that the 110H box does handle immense
ammounts of data in an expected manner though. We tried dumping
100Mbit to it, and it decoded some portions at least, but with alot of
garbage. Here it sounds as if there is nothing on screen at all, which
sounds weird to me.

As for a "fix", would it be possible to add a feature that ensures
that not more than 5 (or something) I frames are transmitted per
second, and then just skip the rest? That would limit the bandwidth
demand quite a bit I would think, and could possibly make the frames
more watchable. Maybe even 3 is enough per second.

> Assuming that you have sufficient network bandwidth (e.g., you're not going
> through a 10 Mbps Ethernet switch), then the only thing I can suggest is
> seeing if there is some way to increase your STB's input buffering.  (Not
> being an expert on Amino STBs, however, I'm not sure how/if you can do
> this.) --

I believe this is NDA material unfortunately since all the
documentation covering this is marked confidential. Asking Amino about
it or reading some documentation could answer this.

-Morgan-