[Live-devel] streaming mpeg4 with hinting to helix server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 18 07:41:17 PDT 2008

You're a bit confused, I think, about what "hint tracks" mean.  "Hint
tracks" are an optional feature of ".mov"-format and ".mp4"-format
files that some RTSP servers (most notably, Apple's Darwin Streaming
Server, but perhaps the 'Helix' server also) use in order to
implement RTSP features such as seeking and 'trick play' (e.g.,
fast-forward).  It's important to understand that 'hint tracks' are
just an internal feature of the file.  They are not part of the RTSP,
RTP or RTCP protocols, and are not 'streamed' in any way.

It's also important to note that *our* RTSP server implementation
does not use 'hint tracks' at all.  (In fact, our server does not yet
stream from ".mov"-format or ".mp4"-format files at all; however, it
can stream from several other types of file (e.g., MPEG Transport,
Program, or Elementary Stream files) that the 'Darwin' and 'Helix'
servers do not support at all.)