[Live-devel] Parsing MPEG TS

Pushkar Pradhan pushkar at ipvideosys.com
Mon Mar 24 12:57:19 PDT 2008

________________________________

From: live-devel-bounces at ns.live555.com
[mailto:live-devel-bounces at ns.live555.com] On Behalf Of Ross Finlayson
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:18 AM
To: LIVE555 Streaming Media - development & use
Subject: Re: [Live-devel] Parsing MPEG TS

	I'm trying to acquire a MPEG TS over UDP. But I realized that
the MPEGDemux uses a MPEGProgramStreamParser that's why it won't work.

	To the best of my understanding I don't think there is a MPEG TS
parser in livemedia, is that true?

The closest thing that we have to a 'MPEG TS parser' is
"MPEG2TransportStreamFramer", which is (quoting the header file):

// A filter that passes through (unchanged) chunks that contain an
integral number
// of MPEG-2 Transport Stream packets, but returning (in
"fDurationInMicroseconds")
// an updated estimate of the time gap between chunks.
Ross,
I looked at the  MPEG2TransportStreamFramer implentation but it doesn't
meet my requirements. So probably I can try to write my own
"MPEGTransportStreamParser". I think all you need to do is strip out the
TS header and pass the PES packet (and its header) to the MPEGDemux.
If it works I think the following filter hierarchy should work:
BasicUDPSource --> MPEGDemux (uses MPEG2TransportStreamParser) -->
MPEGDemuxedElementaryStream (2 for A/V)
--> MPEGVideoStreamFramer (for audio: MPEGAudioStreamFramer) -->
ByteStreamSink (2, which expect a complete video/audio frame so that
I can feed them to a decoder).
Please let me know if this sounds correct?
pushkar