[Live-devel] Axis camera

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Mar 31 17:46:26 PDT 2008

>Cha Gascon wrote:
>>I can connect and play the stream but after a while, it will stop
>>streaming. When it actually stops is random, sometimes a few
>>frames, sometimes after getting a lot of frames.
>The axis camera sends a "BYE" after some time. I do not know whether
>it is a bug or a feature... but for sure it is off-standard (the
>axis server is not live555).

No, the RTCP "BYE" message is a standard.  If the camera is sending
this, then it's explicitly telling the client that it's ending the
stream.  So the question now becomes: Why is the Axis server choosing
to end the stream?  The only reason I can think of is that perhaps it
is timing out because it thinks that the client is inactive.  But the
client ("openRTSP") sends RTCP "RR" reports, and these should be
received by the server (because you're using RTP/RTCP-over-TCP), and
the server should be using these as a sign of client liveness.

So I think your next step should be to ask Axis why their server is
ending the stream (by sending RTCP "BYE" packets).  (Because the Axis
camera is not our product, this is not something that we can really
help you with.)