[Live-devel] RTP sink to serial

Paul Clark paul at packetship.com
Thu Nov 20 04:33:17 PST 2008

Yedidia Amit wrote:
> But I am limited to 1006 bytes datagram which increase the UDP/RTP
> header overhead.

Not exactly...  The kernels at each end should fragment/reassemble large
UDP datagrams across multiple SLIP packets, just as they do across
multiple Ethernet MAC frames if you send a UDP datagram more than 1472
bytes.  There is a slight IP+SLIP overhead here, but the UDP/RTP headers
are not repeated.

The RFC's recommended 1006 MTU doesn't apply if you're in control of
both ends, anyway.  You can request a higher MTU with ifconfig:

# ifconfig sl0 192.168.200.1 pointopoint 192.168.200.2 mtu 8192

My kernel will accept anything up to 64K (although I haven't tested it),

Regards

Paul
--
Paul Clark