[Live-devel] Live555server Video Stream Slowdown

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 3 14:31:45 PDT 2008

At 09:46 AM 10/3/2008, you wrote:
>When streaming certain transport stream files (making a request from
>an RTSP client to the server), the server does not play the video at
>the expected speed. An example of the video is at
><http://www.w6rz.net/>. The file
><http://www.w6rz.net/parkrun1280_12mbps.ts> streamed from the server
>is much slower than it should be. Additionally, it seems as though
>that playback is not steady, meaning it looks as if it keeps a
>constant speed (the slower speed), and periodically jumps ahead a little.

Almost 1 year ago (November 2007) someone asked a similar question
about the same (I think) file.  At that time, I tried streaming this
file from the "LIVE555 Media Server" to VLC, both running on the same
computer (to eliminate possible networking problems as the cause).  I
didn't see any problem:
http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2007-November/007708.html

This suggests that the problem is network-related (either the network
itself, or networking software in your OS or device driver).  Are you
sure that you have sufficient network capacity for this stream?

>I am wondering if the video is being throttle to compensate for the
>audio timing.

No.  A Transport Stream is streamed 'as is'; the software does not
know or care whether a Transport Stream packet contains audio, video,
or whatever.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>