[Live-devel] Question about RTSP paths

Guillaume Ferry guiluge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 08:06:46 PDT 2008

Hi there,

As an older thread, found in March 2008 archives, an alternative syntax
exists for RTSP urls.

Here is a quote :

//////

>What I'd like to do:
>
>MPEG4 streams: rtsp://host/video/MPEG4/stream[number]
>H263 streams: rtsp://host/video/H263/stream[number]
>
>Please note the filenames pathnames are "virtual", i.e. they don't
>exist. Every stream is associated to a live source read from a
>configuration file, and it has no correspondent in the file system

Then why bother? I'm sure you could (somehow) hack the RTSP server
code to do what you want to do, but why not just use a character
other than "/" in the RTSP URLs - e.g.,
 rtsp://host/video:MPEG4:stream[number]
? This would require no change to the existing code.
//////

I wanted to verify this point, and it doesn't seem to work for me, or maybe
I don't get the whole point at all :)

For instance, i have a medium that is located in this sub-tree :
./foo/bar/baz/video.mpg

As the RTSP server runs at the root of this tree, I thought I could access
the medium with this url :

rtsp://localhost:6666/foo:bar:baz:video.mpg

Am I wrong on this one ?

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume.