[Live-devel] mpeg and user data

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 27 06:47:13 PDT 2008

>we have developed a streaming server based on live555, that gets
>mpeg4 frames and streams them as a MPEG elementary stream.
>
>Now I need to add some user data to each frame.

Is this 'user data' really 'per frame' - i.e., tightly associated
with the MPEG-4 frame data?  If so, then the best way to do this
would be to try to find some provision in the MPEG-4 video
specification for such data, and just carry it inside the MPEG-4
frame data somehow.  (I don't know whether the MPEG-4 spec has any
provision for this, though.)

>  I think that the correct way is to define a user data mpeg
>elementary stream, mux it with the video stream and add the
>resulting transport stream as a subsession to live555.

Yes, you could do this - though this Transport Stream would
completely replace the MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream that you're
streaming right now - it wouldn't just be added 'as a subsession'.