[Live-devel] Implement RTSP skip forward in mediaServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Apr 1 14:21:34 PDT 2009

>Seems like there is an option in RTSP to specify a range in time
>that you want to start your stream.

Yes, and we support it, for both RTSP clients and RTSP servers.

For RTSP clients: Note the "start" and "end" parameters to
"RTSPClient:: playMediaSession()" and "RTSPClient::
playMediaSubsession()".  These parameters (if set to non-default
values) tell the RTSP client to request a specific time range.

For RTSP servers: Our RTSP server implementation (including its use
in the "LIVE555 Media Server" product) supports these requests,
***provided that*** the underlying file type can handle them.  In our
current implementation, the following file types support this:
- MP3 audio files
- MPEG-1or 2 audio/video Program Stream files (but not reliably)
- MPEG Transport Stream files (provided that they each have an 'index
file'; see the documentation)
- WAV audio files

For other file types (including MPEG-4 video files), our
implementation currently does *not* support seeking.

><http://www.myiptv.org/Articles/RTSP/tabid/72/Default.aspx>http://www.myiptv.org/Articles/RTSP/tabid/72/Default.aspx
>"The important bits of this command are Range and Scale. See I said
>you would want to know the range. Range specifies from where and how
>much of the content to play. 0- tells the server to start at the
>beginning and play to the end but you could also start anywhere in
>the file as we'll see in a minute or only play the first 5 minutes
>of the content. It's up to you."

You don't have to worry about the details of the RTSP protocol; we
implement all of this for you.  Just use our "RTSPClient" class, and
pass the appropriate parameters (as noted above).