[Live-devel] Live G711 audio source

Jeremy Noring kidjan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 10:54:53 PDT 2009

I want to expose a live G711 stream (specifically, PCMU) through an
on-demand RTSP server; my application receives a pre-encoded stream (single
channel, 8000 samples/sec, etc.).  I reviewed a bunch of the samples that
come with Live555 (and wis-streamer) and they were good references, but I
want to make sure my approach to solving this problem isn't wild and crazy.

testOnDemandRTSPServer uses WAVAudioFileServerMediaSubsession, which has an
option to convert to ulaw--this class is sort of like what I want (?),
although it reads from a file instead of a live source (hence the "seek" and
"scale" methods that are irrelevant to a live source) and my ulaw source is
already encoded, so clearly there are some differences.  Would a good
approach be to create my own class that inherits from
OnDemandServerMediaSubsession, and then overriding the appropriate methods?
And if yes, what methods would you recommend overriding?

Any suggestions are welcome; in the mean time, I'm going to give it a try
and see what happens.  Thanks!