[Live-devel] Streaming RTSP over TCP doesn't work

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 13 06:09:29 PST 2010

>  > Our RTSP server implementation returns this error in exactly one situation:
>>  The client is requesting TCP-streaming of a multicast stream.  That makes no
>>  sense.  If you want to support RTP-over-TCP streaming, then it has to be for
>>  a unicast stream, not multicast.
>Now the question is why the RTSP server always tries to output
>multicast stream. Looking at the code in
>PassiveServerMediaSubsession.getStreamParameters(), the stream type is
>hardcoded as multicast by the line "isMulticast = True;". Is it
>intended or it's a bug?

Yes, the "PassiveServerMediaSubsession" class is intended for
multicast streams.  (I suppose it *could*, in principle, be
subclassed for use with a 'passive' unicast stream, but such a stream
could be received by only one client - defined in advance - so a RTSP
server for such a stream wouldn't be very useful.)

To stream via unicast, you should use a subclass of
"OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" - either an existing subclass (see,
for example, one of those that are used by "testOnDemandRTSPServer"),
or one that you would define yourself.