[Live-devel] Different io model in LiveMedia: io completion ports, kqueue, epoll ?

Adam Mich adammich2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 03:00:30 PST 2010

Hello,
Has anybody tried to replace standard select() loop in LiveMedia with a
different asynchronous I/O mode ? Select() isn't especially effective, when
it comes to sending or receiving a large number of small UDP packets over
many connections, and it is the most often scenario in RTP applications.
Even more important - it is hard to merge your own event queue with select()
loop - there is no easy way to break out from select() on some external
event. It would be great to have a few different backends for network event
dispatching - most systems have their own asynchronous I/O modes and it
should be relatively easy to implement them in LiveMedia.  I know there is
TaskScheduler I can reimplement, but I need also a control over
creation/destruction of a socket and over sending and receiving data ( in
Windows you have to use non standard functions instead of send() and recv()
) - something like Socket class. Any help ? Anybody did it already ?
Thanks in advance,
Kamil