[Live-devel] Server moved to 64bit - packet loss

Szymon Malewski simon.mal at xl.wp.pl
Sat Aug 27 02:34:27 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm using Live555 for my client - server system. It's using my own payload type, but with SimpleRTPSink and SimpleRTPSource. At earlier stages I provide frames of 1,2MB. Bitrate is very high (about 480Mbps) - I'm testing it in private network with no cross traffic. I've increased system buffers (in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal) and called "increaseSendBufferTo()" in server and "increaseReceiveBufferTo()" in client.
It all worked fine.

Then I moved server to another machine and I'm experiencing severe packet loss (60-70%) at client side.
I'm not familiar with statistics in Live555, for quick check I've added packets counters in GroupsockHelper.cpp in writeSocket and readSocket. Client receives about 1/3 of sent packets. Lowering framerate didn't help much.
On the other hand tcpstat shows correct traffic network on both sides.

The main difference I see between these two machines is that the new one is 64bit.
So it seems that client doesn't get packets from system, when server is 64bit, while it gets them when server is 32bit.
When server and client are running on the same machine it works in all cases.

Did anyone experience such a strange behaviour? Is there in live555 library anything that might cause this (e.g. some options on socket initialization)?
Or what system configuration should I check and compare?

Thank you,
Szymon