[Live-devel] Creating multiple OpenRtspClient [ or destroying current client in a proper way ]

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Dec 8 08:09:28 PST 2011

> I too am having difficulty shutting down in my rtspclients . When I went to async, I ended up with things happening after the dtor occasionaly or a memory leak.

If things worked OK when you were using the synchronous interface, but fail only now that you are using the asynchronous interface, then this is probably a programming error on your part.  Most likely, you are inadvertently closing objects that are associated with streams that are still running.  The only real difference between the synchronous interface and the asynchronous interface is that the latter allows you to do things while RTSP requests are still 'in progress'.  If, instead, you don't do anything with a stream until you get a RTSP response, then you have exactly the same functionality as the synchronous.

> I think this is a great library but I must take exception to the gmail statement

That's fine, but I will not back down on this.  Using a "@gmail" (or "@yahoo" or "@hotmail" etc.) email address is the modern-day equivalent of wearing a dunce cap.  I will continue to use such email addresses as a first-level "bozo filter" when deciding which messages are worth responding to.  If you look through the mailing list archives and note the widespread cluelessness displayed by most people who use such addresses, you'll see what I mean.

Note that you can, if you wish, use Google's 'GMail' with your own domain name; that's fine with me.  (I don't care what mail delivery/storage system you use for your email; only the domain name that your email address uses - i.e., the face that you're presenting to the world.)  This is a professional mailing list, and if you want to be taken seriously on it, you should use a professional email address.