[Live-devel] Simple Filter leading to a CODEC

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Feb 1 08:25:16 PST 2011

On 2/1/2011 10:05 AM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> This is a brand new codec, so I'll need to specify an RTP payload for
>> that.  It's for low bitrate high packet loss networks, and works off
>> of single frame encoding, because a dropped iFrame is not desirable.
>
> OK, let us know when you've submitted an Internet Draft that describes
> your proposed RTP payload format, and then I'll help you implement it
> using the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" libraries.  (This implementation
> would be (at least) a subclass of "MultiFramedRTPSink" (for sending
> RTP), and a subclass of "MultiFramedRTPSource" (for receiving RTP).)
>
> (It's going to be interesting to see how you come up with a
> single-frame video encoding that's also low-bitrate, because those two
> usually don't go together.)

Thanks.  Actually, my problem right now is not with RTP at all, it's
with how to access the picture frames to implement the codec.  I was
wanting to know the "best" way to go about tinkering with the video.  My
thought was to take the MPEG2 sources and modify those, but perhaps
there is a better way?  That's why I laid out the simple goal of
modifying the Y plane.  Once I get there, I am confident that the rest
will be fairly straightforward.