[Live-devel] iPhone CAN"T play the TS files generated by testH264VideoToTransportStream

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Feb 4 14:57:05 PST 2011

On 1/31/2011 4:23 PM, Dunling Li wrote:

> I use testH264VideoToTransportStream to generate some TS files. None of
> them can be played in iPhone.

QuickTime can't do that on desktop platforms, either.  See the FAQ on
the MPEG-2 component's store page:

	http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A

There's no reason to suppose iOS would have TS capability when QuickTime
on desktop platforms doesn't.

(And yes, I realize you're talking about MPEG-4 and I'm talking about
MPEG-2.  The point is, if QuickTime had native TS support, the MPEG-2
playback component FAQ wouldn't need to disclaim this, since it could
use the native QT support to demux the incoming stream prior to decoding.)

Apple wants you to use MPEG-4 part 14 ("m4v") packaging for H.264 video.
  Why?  Because part 14 is based on the QuickTime container format, so
they don't have to do as much work.