[Live-devel] Streaming with live555 using named pipes with dm6467

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Feb 17 13:02:32 PST 2011

>I'm trying send TS content generated by my DM6467 enconder
>application. Currently, i send TS data through a named pipe to
>"testMPEG2TransportStreamer" modified live555 program. Then i try
>see, in real time, encoded data on VLC.
>
>Everything works fine when i save a ".ts" file on hard disk and then
>send to VLC.
>
>But doing a "real time" comunication between Live555 and my app even
>with RTP or RTSP protocol i can't see anything in VLC. VLC reports
>(through its debug interface) a lot of Ts discontinuity and/or TS
>duplicate.
>
>Anyone knows what i could be doing wrong?

You may be seeing (IP multicast) packet loss somewhere between the
streamer app and VLC.

I suggest that you first try using "openRTSP" as a client, to record
the incoming stream as a (Transport Stream) file - that you can
examine and try playing.

>  Is that the best way to use Live555 as a live streamer??

If you plan to have only a single client, then you should probably
stream via unicast rather than via multicast.

You can easily modify the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application
to stream from your named pipe via unicast: See
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast