[Live-devel] locally viewing the stream generated by testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer in unicast mode

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 6 20:17:11 PDT 2011

>I have been successfully able to run testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer
>in unicast mode, by making suggested changes as per the FAQ.
>Thanks a lot for those suggestions.
>But I am not able to play the streaming locally on my localhost (I
>have tried giving the destinationAddressStr as "127.0.0.1" or the
>local ip address as output from the ipconfig command).
>I am using VLC Player to view the streaming video.
>If you could please provide me some pointers/suggestions for the
>reason of this failure.

I don't know.  It may be VLC that's having trouble playing the stream
(e.g., because it doesn't know the port number).

In any case, I don't recommend doing unicast streaming by modifying
the "test*Streamer" applications.  Instead, use the
"testOnDemandRTSPServer" or "live555MediaServer" applications, and
use the RTSP protocol to set up the unicast stream.  That's what it's
for.