[Live-devel] how to capture H264 stream and save it in a avi file

James Dougherty jafrado at gmail.com
Thu May 12 15:45:14 PDT 2011

Hi Gianluigi,

Please provide the -i option and review the options on the main site, below:
http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/#quicktime

Those options all work for me, and very well!

Here is another recipe I use for additional cross-validation.
If you have L16 media, put a riff header on it:

sox -B -t raw -s -b 16 -c 2 -r 48k audio-L16-2 audio-L16-2.wav
For MP4 (openRTSP -4 option):
mp4box -fps 30 -add video-H264-1.264 -add audio-L16-2.wav -new myfile.mp4

For AVI (openRTSP -i option)
ffmpeg -r 30 -i video-H264-1 -i audio-L16-2.wav -vcodec copy -acodec copy
myfile.avi
I use the openRTSP options, but at times, I have used the above to verify I
didn't break something :-)

YMMV

best regards
-james