[Live-devel] video packetizatin for RTP payload

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Sep 23 02:46:20 PDT 2011

> I went through the RFC 3984 (RTP Payload Format for H.264 Video) also.
> There are multiple option for Structure of the RTP Payload Format( i.e. Single NAL Unit Packet mode, Aggregation packet mode and Fragmentation unit mode). These can be used in various combination.
> I wanted to know that how it is implemented for live555 server.

When receiving H.264 RTP packets, we support any of these modes (i.e., we handle whatever is sent to us).

When sending H.264 RTP packets (e.g., from a server), we do so using either Single NALU packet mode, or Fragmentation Unit mode (using FU-A).  (When sending, we currently don't ever aggregate more than one NALU into a single RTP packet (although we can receive such packets OK).)