[Live-devel] Fwd: live555 on demand, apache and win 7 64bit

Jeff Shanab jshanab at smartwire.com
Wed Aug 22 04:03:52 PDT 2012

 RTSP is a protocol, so is HTTP, you need a plugin.

Browsers natively handle HTTP but they do not yet directly support RTSP, it requires a plug-in. Players like VLC, Quicktime and Flash can handle RTSP and usually have a plugin avail, indeed flash is the most common defacto plugin out there.

I personally am on a team responsible for our own plugin and it uses livee555 as the client together with libavcodec for the decoding part.

1)Running on 64 bit windows: most apps running on windows 64 bit are still running 32bit. Windows provided a set of emulation libraries called "Windows on Windows" that seemlessly handles running 32 bit code on 64 bit windows. This still is a big step forward because each 32 bit app runs with an up to 2Gig memory space so it allows you to use all that extra memory (my boxes have 4G - 12G). You can aso compile for 64 bit, but in for a penny, in for a pound; check and make sure the browser or rest of your app is also compiled for 64bit!

2)True RTSP: I connect directly to various RTSP sources directly from the browser. From commercial restreamers to embedded devices. I have seen at least 10 differnt brands work fine and 2 that will not connect for a yet unknown reason, but I need to update.

3) see description in 1 of who's responsibility for what protocols and how it is used. RTSP will be listening by default on port 554, apache by default is port 80. These are defined as default by the protocol and apache's job ends at telling other software the address and specs of the connection string.

Remember, data obtained from RTSP is encoded (compressed) the other main part of any client is to decode it.  Some browser can handle decodeing directly if you use HTTP Live Streaming. Which apache can serve out and live555 can do part of the transformation, but it is a missnomer that it is live, it has a built in delay. WIkipedia is your friend on all this.