[Live-devel] General tips would be appreciated

Aleksandar Milenkovic Aleksandar.Milenkovic at rt-rk.com
Fri Jan 20 09:05:04 PST 2012

Hi all. I didn't really know how to name this, hope nobody minds....

Anyway, i'm getting into live555 code. I compiled the whole thing as a
library, ported the mediaServer to android and now comes the interesting
part.

A Java app sends a byte[] thru JNI to a C routine. The C part should
have the mediaserver embedded into it, and in such a way that the
mediaserver can be controlled just like a real object (i know this
doesn't make sense yet, but it will). That means the server should
behave like 'expected' upon calling the wrapper's Init(), Start/Stop(),
Deinit()...

So far I've got some slight understanding of the UsageEnvironment
classes, but i'm having slight problems on how to break it up. I could
use an explanation of what it does etc, a background story. So far,
env->doEventLoop(shouldIQuit); will do the trick i hope.

On top of that, i wanna use the passed-in byte[] for streaming, not
files. I found this - ByteStreamMemoryBufferSource, so i'll try to dump
the byte[] into that and feed that to the mediaServer;

Basically, I'm not-so-politely asking how to break up the Media Server
app into pieces; this approach sounds feasable but might be impractical
or there might be better ways to accomplish this. That's why i'm asking
you if you've got any tips for the new guy here :)

I'd like to avoid reimplementing UsageEnvironments and TaskSchedulers if
possible, and only delete/move the code around :)

Kind regards,
Aleksandar
--

*Aleksandar Milenkovic*