[Live-devel] Server disconnects clients every 60 seconds

David J Myers david.myers at panogenics.com
Thu Jan 26 08:59:27 PST 2012

Hi Ross,
> Huh?  If your RTSP server is "based on testOnDemandRTSPServer", then it
most certainly *is* 'starting' both RTP and RTCP.  That's what a unicast
RTSP server does.  You seem very confused here.

>But the issue here is your *client*.  It is apparently not sending back
periodic RTCP "RR" (Reception Report) packets in response to the RTP packets
that it's receiving from the server.  That's why the server is timing out
the stream

I've talked to the developers of the NVR software (our client) and they tell
me they do send regular RTCP reports, but they don't send GET_PARAMETER
messages like VLC does. However, my streams don't keep alive and I don't see
their RTCP report messages coming in.

When I look at testOnDemandRTSPServer, I don't see any specify
RTCPInstance:createNew() call, that's why I thought RTCP wasn't running. I
guess you're saying that RTCP and RTP are implicit in UNICAST RTSP.

Where can I put some debug to catch the RTCP reports coming in? I enabled
the debug in RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession:: handleRequestBytes() after
parseRTSPRequestString(), but I don't see the RTCP messages there.

Thanks for your help - David