[Live-devel] Server disconnects clients every 60 seconds

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 26 09:12:21 PST 2012

> I’ve talked to the developers of the NVR software (our client) and they tell me they do send regular RTCP reports, but they don’t send GET_PARAMETER messages like VLC does. However, my streams don’t keep alive and I don’t see their RTCP report messages coming in.

Then your client - despite the claims of its developers - must not be sending RTCP reports correctly.  (I encourage these developers to get in touch with us - via this mailing list - to help fix this.)

(Note, BTW, that "openRTSP" - which you noted works correctly with your server - doesn't send "GET_PARAMETER" requests either.  But it keeps the session alive, because it sends periodic RTCP "RR" packets.)

> When I look at testOnDemandRTSPServer, I don’t see any specify RTCPInstance:createNew() call

That is done in the "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" class.

> Where can I put some debug to catch the RTCP reports coming in?

Add
#define DEBUG 1
to the start of "liveMedia/RTCP.cpp".  You will see reports of RTCP "SR" packets being sent by the server, and - if your client is working correctly (e.g., "openRTSP") - RTCP "RR" packets arriving from the client.

> I enabled the debug in RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession:: handleRequestBytes() after  parseRTSPRequestString(), but I don’t see the RTCP messages there.

No.  That function is used only for incoming RTSP commands, not RTCP packets.