[Live-devel] Server disconnects clients every 60 seconds

Roberts, Randy Randy.Roberts at flir.com
Thu Jan 26 09:49:06 PST 2012

Hi Ross,

Does the requirement of the RTCP (keepalive) change at all when using RTP over RTSP?

We've seen a few clients that DO NOT send keepalives when configured for RTP over RTSP, as the RTP "data" is interleaved over the same TCP "Session" as the the RTSP control.
Apparently, they have determined that the TCP session "liveness" can be determined  by the TCP stack, and that that is  "adequate".

Live555 certainly does still require the keepalives in that "configuration".

Certainly, applications get notifications (from the TCP stack) when their peer "goes away" (stops responding to TCP keepalives).

Are you aware of any specifications (based on alternate configuration) that remove the obligation of the RTCP (or noop message) keepalives?

Thanks,
Randy Roberts