[Live-devel] H264, MPEG4, MJPEG recording and streaming with proper timming information.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jan 31 02:38:58 PST 2012

Unfortunately none of the output 'multimedia' file formats that we currently support - .mov/.mp4, or .avi - are very good at supporting the recording of accurate timestamp information along with each frame, so they are not very well suited for the purpose of recording incoming streams for later re-streaming.  (The Matroska file format is much better for this, and someday I hope to support recording into Matroska files (we can already stream from such files).)

If you're recording incoming streams only for later re-streaming (i.e., you don't also plan to play the files locally using a video player), then I suggest just coming up with your own simple file format that records a timestamp (i.e., presentation time) and frame size, along with each frame's data.