[Live-devel] About the H264 over RTP FA

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 2 07:47:20 PDT 2012

I find your message confusing, because here you're talking about transmitting H.264 over RTP:

> First thank you give the guide line on how to let Live555 to take input from a live source (H264 pictures over RTP) http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast.

But here you're talking about *receiving* H.264 over RTP:

> I followed this guideline and made it successfully to receive the H264/RTP Live Stream from a live source (which sends Single NAL Unit Packet).

And here you seem to be talking about both transmitting and receiving, but I'm not sure:

> The problem is: if I send H264 over RTP/UDP with Fragmentation Units (FUs-A)  then Live555 failed to parse this live stream.

But anyway, the important thing to understand is that our software *automatically* handles the fragmentation (when transmitting) and defragmentation (when receiving) H.264 NAL units.  Your application software (which uses our software) *should not* deal with FU-A NAL units at all.

In particular:
- When transmitting H.264 over RTP, you should deliver your (unfragmented!) NAL units - one at a time - to a "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer", and then into a "H264VideoRTPSink".
- When receiving H.64 over RTP, you use a "H264VideoRTPSource".  Any fragmented NAL units in the RTP stream will automatically be defragmented before delivery.