[Live-devel] Some project organization advice

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 17 14:17:46 PDT 2012

> I am going to be moving forward with a couple of implementations using Live555 on embedded platforms using Windows Compact 7. My initial work required a lot of changes to deal with the fact that all the systems are headless and the printfs etc are not supported.

In short, if you can't use our code without making a lot of changes to it, then you probably shouldn't be using it.  (As you know, you can't expect any support once you've made changes to the supplied code.)  Perhaps you should try to find some other code that's specifically designed to work with 'Windows Compact 7'?

However, I'm not convinced that you need to make "a lot of changes" to the code.  For starters, if your system doesn't have "fprintf()", then why not just implement your own version.  Also, you can write your own "UsageEnvironment" subclass that redefines the "<<" operators.  (This sort of thing is one of the main purposes of the "UsageEnvironment" abstract base class.)

However, there's a bigger issue here: I think you should reevaluate your decision to use Windows as the OS for your embedded system.  I can understand people still using Windows for desktop PCs (due to its large installed base there).  But I simply don't understand why, in this day and age, anyone would want to use Windows for an embedded system.  In today's world, Windows is becoming increasingly irrelevant, especially for embedded systems, where almost all of the 'top tier' developers are using Unix-based systems (including Linux, iOS, etc.).  If you start developing embedded systems software for Windows, you're going to find yourself in a declining environment dominated by second-rate people, IMHO...