[Live-devel] openRTSP teardown problem

Ben Willcox ben.willcox at willcoxonline.com
Mon Aug 5 14:03:28 PDT 2013

Hello All,

I have a problem with openRTSP capturing a stream from an Axis 210A IP
camera as described below:

Running Debian Lenny, I run the following command to capture an RTSP
stream using TCP from the Axis camera:
openRTSP -4 -n -t -Q -b 512000 -u <username> <password> -w 640 -h 480 -f
25 rtsp://<ipaddress>/mpeg4/media.amp >output.mp4

I can then stop the stream by issuing 'kill -HUP <pid>' and the video
file is created correctly. All is well.

However, since upgrading the operating system to Ubuntu 12.04, running
the same command and the same HUP signal, the stream does not teardown
and openRTSP hangs. Unfortunately this causes a serious problem as I
call openRTSP from a Perl application, which then blocks as openRTSP
never exits.
Sometimes the HUP will complete successfully once, but then capturing a
new stream at a later time it will hang.

The output after sending the HUP is as follows:
-------------------------
<snip verbose output>
inter_packet_gap_ms_min    1.214000
inter_packet_gap_ms_ave    29.394320
inter_packet_gap_ms_max    275.576000
end_QOS_statistics
Sending request: TEARDOWN rtsp://<ipaddress>:554/mpeg4/media.amp/ RTSP/1.0
CSeq: 7
Session: 0929340996
-------------------------

But the session doesn't close. With the Debian Lenny version the
openRTSP process exits after the 'end_QOS_statistics' line, consistently.
I have discovered that on the 'bad' system if I eliminate the -t switch
and therefore stream using UDP, the stream correctly terminates on
receiving the HUP. However my application cannot tolerate any frame
drop, so this is not a sufficient workaround.

I'm afraid I don't know how to obtain version numbers from openRTSP
itself, hence I'm referring to the packages included in the Debian Lenny
and Ubuntu 12.04 repositories.

Any guidance would be appreciated, I'm happy to do any debugging as
necessary to help pinpoint this issue.

Many thanks,
Ben