[Live-devel] Open RTSP and video file splitting...

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 20 14:54:49 PDT 2013

>> Your best solution then is probably just to record a single file for
>> the entire stream, and then later - using some separate tool that's
>> intended specifically for editing '.mov'/'.mp4' files - break it apart
>> into separate files of whatever length you want.
>
> Fair enough, but unfortunately I cannot record a single file as I need
> to be feeding real-time ( actually a delayed stream of .. X seconds )
> the Microsoft Expression Encoder.
>
> Last question and I understand this is clearly not something you support
> or even appreciate; but what would be the way to do a  QuickTimeFileSink
> sink alike class that supports multi-file output handling the way I need it ?

If your input stream is H.264 video only (i.e., with no audio), then another solution would be to write your own "MediaSink" subclass (perhaps similar to the existing "H264VideoFileSink" class) that writes a sequence of raw (i.e., elementary stream) H.264 video files.  You should be able to easily ensure that each output file begins with a 'key frame'.  You could then, concurrently, process each of these output raw H.264 video files into '.mov'/'.mp4' files to feed into your Microsoft whatever (or just feed the raw H.264 files into your Microsoft whatever, if it can handle those).