[Live-devel] Errors when streaming HD H.264 using Live555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 11 08:40:03 PST 2013

VLC is not our software, and problems with VLC should be posted on a VLC mailing list - not here.  However, in this case, I know the answer to your question.

Your problem is that your stream's I-frames are too large.  VLC uses an initial buffer size of 100,000 bytes when receiving data.  If a data frame (in this case, your stream's first I-frame) is larger than this, then the remaining data will be truncated (i.e., lost).  VLC recovers from this by doubling the size of the buffer for receiving future frames, but it cannot recover the data that was lost from the first I-frame.

The solution is to not send very large I-frames as single NAL units.  Instead, you should encode these I-frames into multiple 'slice' NAL units.  (Alternatively, if you can't do that, then try to encode I-frame NAL units to be smaller than 100,000 bytes.)